Becoming My Own Self-Advocate
As an adult, you will need to speak up for yourself. When you do this you are being a "self-advocate."
Times I might need to be a self-advocate:
- My IEP meeting (in high school)
- When asking for accommodations for classes in high school or college
- On the job
- Being involved in my community
What do I need to help me become a better self-advocate?
- Understand my rights and responsibilities
- Learn to be assertive
- Know the types of accommodations I need
- Find opportunities to make choices
- Know how to contact support people I need
- Other _____________________________________________________
~ Full Life Ahead
YOU can learn more about Self-Advocacy in the State of Indiana by visiting the The Arc of Indiana's web site and clicking on "Self-Advocates" on the home page.